音乐掌门人

积分

名人勋章社区QQ达人分享勋章精华帖达人灌水勋章

发表于 2022-2-9 15:19:48 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

注册会员,获得无损资源下载地址,享受高品质音乐。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

x
cover.jpg

(2020) Gretchen Peters – The Night You Wrote That Song: The Songs of Mickey Newbury

Media Report:
Genre: americana, folk, tribute
Format: FLAC
Format/Info: Free Lossless Audio Codec, 16-bit PCM
Bit rate mode: Variable
Channel(s): 2 channels
Sampling rate: 44.1 KHz
Bit depth: 16 bits

Review:
Gretchen Peters is one of the early 21st century’s most treasured singer/songwriters. A member of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, she’s penned hits for dozens of country artists and is a world-renowned recording artist. Her catalog is full of self-penned jewels rendered in her unaffected alto; Peters consistently delivers canny narratives of the human experience at its most vulnerable. The Night You Wrote That Song: The Songs of Mickey Newbury is an unexpected covers set. While it’s true that Newbury’s songs have been covered some 1500 times by more than 1,200 artists, including Ray Charles, B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt, and Vampire Weekend. Newbury was a pioneer of psychedelic country and a die-cutter for Americana; he passed in 2002. (In addition to his songs, he brought fellow Texans Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark to Nashville, and mentored Kris Kristofferson.) Peters cut the basic tracks over a few years at Cinderella Studio in Madison, a suburb of Nashville (where Newbury recorded his finest albums) with husband and pianist Barry Walsh and guitarist Will Kimbrough. Overdubs were added as needed later on by harmonica ace Charlie McCoy, guitarist Wayne Moss, pedal steel player Dan Dugmore, Celtic string king Eamon McLaughlin, and several others. Peters delivers gorgeous versions of classics such as “She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye,” “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition What My Condition Was In),” “Heaven Help the Child,” “Frisco Depot,” and “San Francisco Mabel Joy.” Newbury’s tunes are often steeped in pathos: emotional, spiritual, and historical, yet steely in their unflinching honesty and in their revelations of vulnerability. Peters shines throughout, delivering them with an authority central to her own experience as a woman and as a songwriter. Her readings of lesser-known tunes such “The Sailor,” register as unearthed fables from the mists of time. Her take on the title track is an elegiac waltz with Walsh’s accordion underscoring every sung line. In “Saint Cecelia” and “Three Bells for Stephen” Peters resists radical rearrangements. She stays close to Newbury’s melodies but coaxes shifting shades of meaning through her phrasing, adding a present-tense female dimension to these narratives. Her read of “Why You Been Gone So Long” is a rollicking country-rocker fit for a honky tonk dancefloor. In “Leavin’ Kentucky,” McLaughlin’s fiddle introduces Peters, who sings: “Cold on the mountain when winter comes on/Dew in the morning is sprinkled alone/The road down to Nashville’s like crystal and stone/Leavin’ Kentucky and I’m goin’ back home… Lord I’m just one girl, I wish I were three/Take a .44 pistol to me/Put one in my brain for his memory/One more for my heart, and then I‘d be free….” The harrowing depths the protagonist suffers over lost love are a whirlpool, yet Peters’ narrator remains standing and continues her journey knowing suicide is merely pain’s voice in her ear, as pedal steel, electric guitars, organs, and pianos swell around her. With the Night You Wrote That Song, Peters gifts Newbury’s songs as evidence of his enduring relevance. And intentionally or not, this album’s contents are a stained-glass window shining light into her own sacred hall of inspiration.

Track Listing:
1.The Sailor 05:05
2.She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye 03:42
3.Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) 03:53
4.The Night You Wrote That Song 04:55
5.Wish I Was 03:53
6.Why You Been Gone So Long 03:53
7.Frisco Depot 04:38
8.Leavin' Kentucky 04:07
9.Heaven Help The Child 03:42
10.San Francisco Mabel Joy 05:18
11.Saint Cecelia 04:27